Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Using Social Media to connect with Traditional Media

I have worked in news and talk radio, I've worked for a daily newspaper, I've worked as a PR Flak for a political party - and I can tell you that I have never seen more open communication and access to reporters and editors as I have in the Social Media realm in the past year.


From what I'm seeing and hearing, everyone is benefiting from this (at least in the sense that accurate information is reported quickly - I won't talk about the economics of newspapers right now, other than to say that I subscribe to my daily newspaper and I read every weekly I can get my hands on). What I'm seeing and experiencing is reporters and editors spending time on Social Media sites to not only share the stories they are working on, but to see what others have to say about breaking news - or trends - or events happening locally.

Through Social Media, I've been able to pass along news tips, pose questions that get asked of the newsmakers, and help many of my reporter and editor friends get their stories to a wider audience.

Oh yea, and thanks to Social Media, our company has been featured in stories on NPR, in local press, and has been the cover story in a couple of trade publications.

No comments:

Post a Comment