Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Chicago!


It was March, 2009 - and Pittcon was taking place in Chicago - and I had been using twitter for less than two months.

I decided to try a little experiment - I would twitter about everything on the trip - from the ride to BWI airport, the flight on SouthWest Airlines, the hotel check-in, the trade show, everything.

A couple of cool things happened.

First, I was contacted by a corporate job service representative (aka Head Hunter) who said she was impressed with what she was seeing and wanted to know if I was happy with my current employment (I am), and that if I ever wanted to consider changing positions to contact her.

Second, I woke up one morning and picked up the Chicago Sun Times to see an article about how Chicago was the #3 city in the world for Twitter use - and encouraging people to follow them on twitter. I happily did so and they quickly followed me back. That evening after dinner I found myself having a great conversation with a group of people when the talk finally got to the "what do you do for a living" part - and I found out one of my new friends was a writer for the Chicago Sun Times. I asked if it was OK to mention his name on Twitter - he agreed and said his editors were trying to talk him into using the social media tool. A few minutes after posting:


"Just met ______ from the Chicago Sun Times"

I received a message from the Chicago Sun Times:

"Tell him to get on twitter"

These are just a couple of experiences - there was also a great "tweet up" in Chicago and quite a few serendipitous meetings.

Using social media while travelling is a great thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment